Please click on the question to reveal the answer. If you have any specific questions, please contact us
1. Is EXOGEN right for my fracture?
Your doctor will advise if EXOGEN is right for you, but you may be a candidate for EXOGEN if:
- Your broken bone does not appear to be showing any visible signs of healing (referred to as non-union)
- Your broken bone is taking longer to heal than normal (referred to as delayed union)
- Your broken bone has been fixed by surgery or metal implants but is still not healing
- You have a recently broken bone (fresh fracture)
2. When should EXOGEN not be used?
There are no known contraindications for the EXOGEN device. Safety and effectiveness has not been established for individuals lacking skeletal maturity; pregnant or nursing women; patients with cardiac pacemakers; on fractures due to bone cancer; or on patients with poor blood circulation or clotting problems. Some patients may be sensitive to the ultrasound gel.
3. How is EXOGEN used?
Simply place the strap over where your bone is broken (fracture site) and place the small head of the unit (transducer) on your skin using a small amount of gel and push the 'Start' button. The EXOGEN unit will then work for 20 minutes before turning itself off.
4. Can I use EXOGEN myself?
Yes, the EXOGEN unit is designed to be applied by you at home.
The EXOGEN unit comes with simple instructions that show you, using pictures, how to apply it. It is supplied with all the equipment you need and has been designed to be very easy to use.
5. Is EXOGEN painful to use?
6. How often do I need to use EXOGEN?
EXOGEN is a once daily treatment. It should be used at a time that is convenient for you and fits into your daily routine. This usually means that the EXOGEN unit is applied for 20 mins at the same time every day.
7. Are there any side-effects when using EXOGEN?
Numerous clinical studies have been undertaken and no device related adverse reactions or medical complications have been reported. Some patients have experienced mild skin irritation caused by skin sensitivity to the coupling gel, and this can be avoided by using easily obtained mineral oil or glycerin.
8. How long will my non-union take to heal?
The amount of time EXOGEN will need to heal your broken bone will depend on many things like:
- Age and location of the fracture
- Your lifestyle (smokers can expect healing to take longer than non-smokers)
- Your medication
- Your health
These things all have an effect on fracture healing but you can still use EXOGEN.
9. Can I use EXOGEN if I already have a cast applied?
Yes, a small hole is made in the cast in which you place the transducer head during treatment.
10. Can I use EXOGEN if I have already had surgery on my fracture?
Yes, studies have shown that it can stimulate healing in the presence of metal implants and this means EXOGEN can be used even if your fracture has been stabilised by surgery8. For all countries other than the EU, Australia, NZ and Canada Exogen is for use with metal implants in non-union fractures only.
11. Can I use EXOGEN if I am taking other medication?
It is widely recognised in medical literature that certain types of anti-inflammatory medication will impair bone healing, so please discuss your pain relieving medication with your doctor fully.
12. Can I use EXOGEN if I have an infection at the fracture site?
EXOGEN should not be applied at the same site as broken or infected skin. Please consult your physician for guidance on where to place the treatment head if you have any concerns.
13. Can I use EXOGEN if I have an ‘external fixator' on my bone?
Yes, EXOGEN has shown good results when used in conjunction with metal fixation of fractures8. For all countries other than the EU, Australia, New Zealand and Canada Exogen is for use with metal implant fixation in non-union fractures only.
14. Can I use EXOGEN if I have cancer?
The impact of EXOGEN on "pathological fractures" is unknown and caution is advised.
15. How can I get EXOGEN?
EXOGEN is available directly from Smith & Nephew UK with a referral from your physician. Click here to contact us. Visit www.exogen-intl.com for outside of the UK.
16. Is EXOGEN covered by public and private health service providers?
EXOGEN is widely available through the NHS in the UK. If you are covered privately please check with your health provider regarding your policy details. If you would like to purchase EXOGEN in the UK independently please contact us. For outside of the UK visit www.exogen-intl.com.
17. How can I get more information?
Please click here to contact a Smith & Nephew representative or download our product information PDF. Visit www.exogen-intl.com for outside of the UK.